Why Gmail and Outlook Email Marketing Is Important + 10 Best Email Tracking Apps
It is little wonder businesses invest in email marketing. Campaign Monitor sites that for every $1 a business spends on email marketing, it receives $44 in profit. This equates to a return on investment (ROI) of 4400%!
Continue reading or jump ahead to the topics below:
- Email Marketing Best Practices
- Email Tracking Apps for Gmail and Outlook
- 10 Best Email Tracking Apps With Lead Scoring for Gmail & Outlook
- Email Tracking Extensions for Gmail
- Sales CRMs with Email Tracking Capabilities
- Sales Communication Automation Platforms with Email Tracking Capabilities
- Email Tracking Apps With Unique Features and Use Cases
- Use Email Tracking Apps to Speed Up Your Sales Cycle
Email Marketing Best Practices
Did you know the majority of your customers, (61%), prefer to be contacted via email? Besides the high ROI potential, email marketing outperforms customer acquisition on social media. The majority of consumers, (59%), credit marketing emails with heavily influencing their purchasing decisions.
Email marketing allows customers to make purchases wherever they want, whenever they want. The fact that customers aren’t annoyed by bothersome sales calls is a bonus. Around 42% of Americans are subscribers and many are more likely to purchase from a company that sends them emails.
As amazing as email marketing can be for your company’s bottom line, it must be approached strategically to be successful.
The following is a list of eight email marketing best practices
- Time your email marketing campaigns well. Use data on your recipients to determine when to launch an email marketing campaign. Avoid sending multiple emails on the same day or letting too much time go by between emails.
- Pick the right email frequency. It is recommended that you send no more than two emails per week. A weekly email keeps your brand at top of mind without being annoying.
- Ditch the noreply@ address. Using a generic noreply@ increases the probability that your email is immediately headed to the spam folder. Using a personalized email address will make your email sound as though it is coming from a person.
- Test your email subject lines. Your subject line is one of the first things your recipients will read. In many instances, subscribers decide to open a message based on the subject line.
- Drive click-throughs with engaging content. Interesting content will capture the attention of your recipients. As each of your customers gets hundreds of emails a day, yours must stand out.
- Audit your communication regularly. You should be auditing your email marketing efforts regularly. This will enable you to see which marketing techniques have worked and which have not.
- Inspire action. Telling your readers what to do via a call to action (CTA) will encourage email recipients to take the desired action. Without a CTA, recipients will not be motivated to take the action you want them to take.
- Segment your audience. Avoid sending the same blanket email to every customer as they are all on different parts of your sales funnel.
Email Tracking Apps for Gmail and Outlook
There are multiple email providers out there. Gmail and Outlook are two of the most commonly used email platforms. Many consumers use Gmail and business clients will likely choose Outlook.
Gmail currently holds a market share of 27.8%, making it the top email client provider. In 2020, Gmail had a 53% U.S. market share. With this dominance, it makes sense that 92% of startups and 60% of mid-sized companies use Gmail.
Additionally, Gmail has 1.8 billion monthly users who send and receive 319.6 billion emails per day. With that high volume of communication with their customers, companies need email tracking apps that are compatible with Gmail.
Outlook offers many features that companies enjoy. Some of these features include offline email access, calendar, and contact integration, enhanced organization, meeting room scheduling, and calendar scheduling. If your organization works in the business-to-business space, an Outlook email tracking app is essential.
10 Best Email Tracking Apps With Lead Scoring for Gmail & Outlook
A lead score tells you how likely a lead is to convert based on their behavior across your company website, lead capture pages, social media, and emails. A lead scoring app tracks the leads’ email opens and clicks on to help inform what their lead score should be.
Description: LeadBoxer is a lead & customer data platform that allows you to track the behavior of your complete online audience. It lets you see who visits your website, reads your emails, and what company they work for, etc.
It also identifies anonymous website visitors, and gives leads a score to gauge how engaged they are with your company. LeadBoxer offers seamless integration with Outlook and also tracks email through Gmail.
*LeadBoxer also offers a standalone version of their Outlook plugin. Get a 30-day free trial straight from the Microsoft App Source.
Best Used For: LeadBoxer is best used for sales reps who want to spend time focusing on their most promising leads to help them increase sales conversions.
Description: Freshsales shows users exactly what actions a lead takes across platforms, then uses that information to create a lead score. Freshsales leverages the data to prioritize leads and give sales reps relevant talking points.
Email Tracking Extensions for Gmail
If you or your customers use Gmail, having a simple, yet powerful tool like the ones listed below, specifically for Gmail is a good option.
Description: Boomerang is an email tracking app that can also schedule messages to be sent at a later time. It also returns messages to your inbox at a later date that you set. This allows you to get back to an email when you’re ready for it and clean up your inbox in the process.
Best Used For: Whether you’re in sales or HR, everyone will love the way Boomerang simplifies the sales follow-up process by sending follow-up reminders, enabling your team to stay in touch with unresponsive prospects.
Description: Gmelius installs via an extension and tracks email activity such as opens and clicks. Gmelius also includes functionality for scheduling emails, calendar scheduling, creating to-do lists, saving email templates, and more.
Sales CRMs with Email Tracking Capabilities
If you’re in the market for a fully-fledged CRM, consider getting one that includes email tracking.
5. Hubspot Sales
Description: Hubspot Sales is a sales CRM offered by Hubspot. The email tracking extension shows who has opened your emails and who hasn’t. A notification will also pop up when the recipient has opened your email.
Best Used For: Teams who need an all-in-one sales CRM that can also track email opens will most enjoy Hubspot Sales.
Description: Accelo is one part sales CRM and one part team task manager. It offers email scheduling and tracking and assigns related tasks and projects to team members based on future workloads.
Sales Communication Automation Platforms with Email Tracking Capabilities
The best way to handle your sales pipeline efficiently is with a platform that can automate your sales communication. Email tracking is an essential part of knowing when to trigger certain actions, such as a follow-up call.
Description: SalesHandy includes functionality for tracking emails, saving templates, scheduling emails, and creating automated email follow-ups. It’s free to use to track an unlimited number of emails.
Best Used For: SalesHandy is ideal for users who are looking for a simple, free tool to track their emails without any frills.
Description: Autoklose draws from a huge database of B2B leads to help prospectors connect with the right person every time. Schedule email sequences, track opens and clicks, and fine-tune the process at any time to continually boost engagement with leads. Reps can also choose to check in on leads who have ignored emails and try to re-engage with them.
Email Tracking Apps with Unique Features and Use Cases
Looking for something with specific functionality? These email tracking apps work well for internal communications.
Description: Bananatag is an email design and tracking app specifically for internal communications. You can create beautiful company memos and newsletters, get feedback from employees, and measure open and click rates.
Best Used For: Bananatag is best for managers who want to make sure that employees are opening and engaging with important company messages.
10. Contact Monkey
Description: Contact Monkey is an app that can work for internal communications or sales. The app features email tracking, email scheduling, and saved email templates.
Use Email Tracking Apps to Speed Up Your Sales Cycle
Email marketing isn’t something your business can ignore. Email tracking apps for Gmail and Outlook are great places to start generating revenue for your business.
For a complete look at how to get started with email tracking apps, how they can benefit you or your business, and best practices for success, review the information in this helpful email tracking guide.
To learn more about how you can leverage data gathered through email tracking to create lead nurturing email content to boost your leads’ customer journey, check out LeadBoxer and request your free trial today.